Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Burning a Metal Die Cut

I pulled out the older Memory Box Fresh Foliage die the other day...I was going to use it for a CAS(E) this Sketch challenge I was working on.   But if I used it for the challenge, I would have had to cut some of leaves off it, and I couldn't do it....
I die cut the leaves from a copper adhesive metal sheet(Ranger...I linked it below, but it's no longer sold at Simon... but wanted you to be able to see what it looks like) .  I also die cut another set of leaves from a piece of heavy white cardstock.  The cool thing about this metal sheet, is that it has adhesive on the back of it, so I simply removed the protective strip from the metal die cut and carefully adhered it to the white die cut, giving the metal more stability.  A little hint...when you die cut the leaves with the white, try really hard to keep the die cut IN the piece of cardstock, it makes it alot easier to accurately adhere the two die cuts together.   I wanted to "toast" the leaves after die cutting...I can't remember where I first did this or who I gleaned this from, it's been a while, but you can alter the colors of the metal by heating them up, and I thought it would look more like"Fall"with different colored leaves.  I think most would use a blow torch, but I used a grill lighter.  This kind of grill lighter...the flame is like a torch...notice the tip, it's very different from a simple flame lighter...
You simply hold the flame not too close, about 6" from the die cut, moving it around a little, and as soon as the color of the metal changes, move the flame.  Take my word...keep the flame on a little too long, and you'll have a real flame and burned leaves....that was what happened on my first attempt.  You might want to try it out on a sample before you do the "real thing".  It is SO COOL, though...such fun!!  Here's a close up...
I used an old Stampendous rubber stamp for the sentiment.  The background is Impression Obsession.  I have always loved this die...still do!  Thanks for visiting me today!! Hugs!! Lisa

7 comments:

  1. Lisa, this is so lovely! Funny, I just picked that die up recently at a stamp convention and it is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh so in LOVE with this one! Great toasting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely appeals to the pyromaniac in me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Lisa! I laughed while reading this., I can just picture myself catching 'something' on fire. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cool idea! It turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic work on the die cut, Lisa. It looks wonderful! I agree that a blow torch is a bit unwieldy to use with some a delicate project. While I like your idea of using a grill lighter, I find that simply holding my project over the flame of my gas stove does a great job as well.

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate your comments...thank you, so much, for taking the time to write:)!! Hugs!! Lisa